Friday 30 September 2011

Day 74 - Spock Ears and Long Lunches

Today was a very nice day, filled with a new beginning and not surprising but sad nonetheless ending.

Starting with the bad news, Zach has been fired. All of his tardiness and dodging of responsibility caught up with him, and Saturday is his last day. I thought that he handled it very well, he told me that if he was a manager he would have fired himself too. The fact that he worked there at all was ridiculous. He doesn't have a car, and lives outside of the city, so he had to travel 4 miles to a train stop, ride the train for 45 minutes and then walk a mile to the bookstore. All for a minimum wage part time job. I think that it would have been hard for anyone to sustain. He has ears like Spock, he is charismatic, and he was funny, I'm going to miss him. This is one instance when facebook can be used for good instead of evil.

On a positive note, my lunch with Teresa was very nice. We went to a local cafe and the club sandwhich that I ordered was amazing. I told her about my quasi-disastrous interview at The University of Chicago, and she completely understood. She currently works for the university and has observed how snotty the faculty can be to anyone who is not working in an academic field. She plans to work in her current position for a few years and then transition to something that is closer to her interests. I have been thinking that if I don't get that position, I would be dodging a bullet, and if they offered it to me, I might decline. I would be struggling to prove myself all the time and constantly battling a negative perception. I don't really know what I'm going to do, but I was glad to get her perspective on it. The conversation flowed to the contrast between how people act in Arizona versus the behaviors out here. We have had some similar experiences and it was good to reflect, share and laugh about it.

Since I took an extra long lunch, I stayed later at work. By the time I got home, watched a couple episodes of Mad Men on the Roku, twisted up my hair, talked on my phone, had a few dance breaks courtesy of Beyonce and Drake, I was not feeling too bad about my Friday night at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment