Thursday 29 September 2011

Day 73 - It's Cathartic

After careful thinking and a tweaking of the privacy settings, I have decided to continue with my blog. It is cathartic for me. There are still very personal elements of my life that will not be published on here, when I look back on the things that I have written I don't think it is too incriminating. Even if no one ever read it, it is important to me that it exists. This speaks to why I love archives so much, they reflect the authenticity of a moment, before our memories omit data and fill in the blanks with details imagined. If this blog was ever released to all the people that are mentioned in it, they would know how they impacted me. When I read it, I can remember my experiences clearly and try not to repeat the same mistakes. I still keep a written journal, which is completely out of control compared to the content of this blog. Also, in this digital format, I can sort and organize ideas and search for particular instances, much easier than a traditional journal. It also gives me something to commit to every night while I am in this state of flux.

I had my interview at Johnson Publishing Company this morning. I drove down there and arrived extra early and spent time in the 70's inspired lobby of this building. The walls had wood paneling, there was a giant geometrically patterned rug on the floor, and very sleek low to the ground red leather sectional couches. A very modern and abstract blob shaped sculpture protruded from the wall and the elevator doors stayed open on the first floor until someone called them up. I met with Mindy and Leigh who have been contracted to quickly process the 3600 linear feet of photographs and ephemera in the company's collection. They explained that they were targeting students and recent grads for this project because they can't offer alot of benefits, but it is good trench work experience for people in my position. I agreed, I also learned how they came to their position, and it was cool to see how they arrived at archives, one from a history background, the other from an art background.

Between the three of us, there was a training in content, in format, and in process. It does go to show that there are many ways to arrive at a chosen career path. My quick walk through the filing cabinets and opening random drawers revealed photographs of random celebrities like Robin Williams and Nelson Mandela. It was fascinating to me, but they stressed that the people they hire will need to be very focused and quickly, yet accurately get through as much of the files as possible. The interview was quick and informal, and I am very optimistic that they will be giving me an offer.

From there, I went to spend my Target gift card and finally buy a big winter coat at Burlington Coat Factory. Shopping was fun, I found all kinds of good deals. It was raining, but that was okay. By the time I got back to Hyde Park, found something to eat and returned my materials to the library, I was ready for a nap. I have to work on Friday and Saturday, so I didn't feel bad for making the most of my day off. After the nap, I decided to re-structure my closet. Now the jackets are all lined up from light to heavy. Next comes the sweaters and cardigans, then the button up shirt, finally the skirts and dressy tops. I folded up all the summer dresses and placed them in the hanging shelves, below the scarves, purses and belts. All the jeans and pants are folded in another set of hanging shelves. I put more items in the chest of drawers and I am content with the re-newed sense of order.

I wrote thank you letters to the interview committee from University of Chicago, watched X-Factor and Grey's Anatomy, and cooked my last pita pizza tonight. Tomorrow is an early day, maybe I will get through a few pages of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell before I go to bed tonight, I'm determined to finish it even if I haven't picked it up in weeks, what a shame...

No comments:

Post a Comment