Sunday 9 October 2011

Day 82 - Marvin's Room

After work today, I had plans to meet Marvin at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater to check out The Follies. He is the box office manager and was able to comp a ticket for me. I had to take two buses and a train to get to the theater which is located on Navy Pier. The second bus was extremely crowded and extraordinarily late. At every stop, I had to get off of the bus let someone, most likely with a double decker stroller off of the bus. The door opened on my butt more than once. I had never seen Navy Pier lit up and crowded as it was tonight,  I made it to the theater, just in time to get my ticket and be seated just before the curtain rose.

Steven Sondheim's Follies is the story of vaudeville performers from the 40's who get together in 1971 for a reunion, just before the theater is shut down. It was really cool the way that it was designed to show the older and younger versions of the characters, often on stage at the same time. The first half is very dramatic, but the second half has that super quirky, musical, comedic vaudeville style to it. The music was great and I really enjoyed the dance numbers. The character of Phyllis was after my own heart, her rival Sally was a twit. During intermission, I watched fireworks from the theaters' windows. After the show, I met up with Marvin on the fourth floor of the theater. He walked me out to the balcony, off of the administrative offices of the theater. The view was breathtaking. Marvin pointed out the significant buildings and explained that on a clear day, you can see all the way to Indiana. After that, he gave me an informal tour of backstage. All of the actors were gone, but I saw the costume department and where they kept all of the props.

Since we were at Navy Pier looking for something to do, we decided to check out the IMAX theater. Although it wasn't my idea, I was complicit in taking us to watch Real Steel with Hugh Jackman. I understand that the movie is ridiculous and should have went straight to video. In the interest of not being a Debbie Downer, I took it for what it was and rode out the highs and lows. When the robot with the heart of gold defeats the battery operated behemoth, I clapped and cheered. After the movie, we walked around the Botanical Garden at Navy Pier. I told Marvin that I wanted some greasy late night takeout, but he decides to take me to Cafe Tiempo instead. It is a 24 hour cash only restaurant in the Gold Coast neighborhood. I had an omelet and we shared some interesting conversation. It was probably about 3:00 AM when we left the restaurant.

From there, we went back to his place for a tour and jam session. We listened to his box set of doo wop classics, Gil Scott Heron and some group called Reindeer Station. He drove me home just as the sun was coming up, and I went straight to bed. I think that Marvin is a great person to know in this city and his work ethic really inspires me.

No comments:

Post a Comment