Sunday 25 September 2011

Day 69 - Just let your SOUL glow!

I woke up this morning to a messy house and hungry pets, the lovely lady that I live with decided to go out last night and not come home until 11:30 this morning. I'm not judging, I'm just saying, your little animals can't feed and walk themselves. I cleaned up and I fed the animals, but I stopped short of walking the dog. When Lauren did get home, she got ready really fast and we went to pick up Natay for the circus.

Can I just say that the UniverSoul Circus is one of the best hybrid performances that I have ever seen. It is part concert, a little bit of comedy, part circus and a whole lot of house party. As we are walking up, I hear DMX's "ya'll gon make me lose my mind, up in here, up in here"...then the music flips to a Drake track. I get in the tent and it looks like a circus, three men are walking and riding bikes across the tightrope. All the seats are good seats, and the ringmaster was hilarious. Throughout the show, we sang if you're happy and you know it, we did the hokey pokey and we sang television theme songs from Spongebob Squarepants to The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

The acts included some Asian women who did all kinds of tricks on bikes, there were folks from Trinidad and Tobago who danced on stilts and did extreme limbo. One man from France twisted his body up and down some rope to some Luther Vandross record. He was built like a male gymnast who specializes on the rings. There were Russian guys who flipped off of some swings (really high), it was actually pretty exciting. There were young men from South America who rode motorcycles in a cage, there were four bikers in this cage going 50 mph, I don't know how they managed to not run into each other. The second half of the show included the tigers and elephants. I have mixed feelings about animals in captivity. On one hand, the animals can't be happy doing tricks for people but on the other, how does a person get an animal to jump through a flaming hoop consistently, that is kind of amazing.

Oh, and in the middle of the circus, the ringmaster makes all the kids stand up and take the ringmaster pledge. They have to raise their right hand and swear to say no to drugs, learn, pray, love their families, and remember that they are all winners, then the beat drops to DJ Khaled's "All I do is Win", so much fun. The crowd participation was on another level. Men and women were invited to the stage to form a soul train line, and later two couples were chosen to do a dance off with each other. Natay kept looking around and asking to see my iPhone and I was trying to tell her to focus and get excited, how often does the circus come to town? Afterwards she said that her favorite part was the tigers.

We took Natay back home after the circus, but we sat in the car with her for about 30 minutes. She's so quiet in the beginning but once she got comfortable, she wanted to braid my hair and talk about her favorite music artists. She eventually spent her energy and consented to go inside and we will go out again next weekend. From there Lauren and I went to Target, I got away with just spending 10 dollars, Lauren went in another directions, it started with dog treats and ballooned into full blown grocery shopping. When we got home, I called my Uncle Jimmy. He had been on my mind and I found out that he had no idea that I had moved to Chicago. We spent about 45 minutes catching up and he said that he was really happy for me, it was good to hear.

Then I settled in to letter writing, scrap booking and watching CBS. 60 minutes and The Amazing Race were on point tonight. I'm feeling very comfortable and relaxed from the weekend's activities. Big things are going to be happening this week, and I'm ready to put my best foot forward. 

1 comment:

ReekaP said...

Blogspot needs a like button.
"Like"

Post a Comment