Monday 26 September 2011

Day 70 - It's the little things

Since I didn't have to go to work until noon, I made the most of the morning and ran some errands. I went to the library, the post office and the bank. The nice thing about Hyde Park is that everything is in the neighborhood, I might have traveled a mile round trip. I would have ridden my bike but I had that bulky computer box to take to the post office. To reward my productivity, I stopped at Treasure Island (America's most European Grocer (real slogan)) and found a fresh apple turnover. When I ate it, I found that it could use a little less apples and a lot more pastry. Perhaps the way I got it was for the best. When I got home, I talked to Lauren for a little bit and then headed to work.

Once again the store was crowded with students trying to get their textbooks. At this point much of our inventory is depleted, so it kind of frustrating to send students to our competitors in order for them to get their books on time. I do my best and try not to let my co-workers or our customers stress me out. The bookstore is in an antiquated building, the elevator access to the second floor is behind a locked door. Whenever a customer with a disability uses the elevator, they have to knock, then we have to unlock the door and let them in.

Today a nice young woman with a seeing eye dog came up through the elevator and I let her in. I couldn't tell how sight impaired she was, but when I was explaining where she could find her books, she asked if she could hold my arm and lead her to them. I said sure, I found her books, narrated all of my movements, and walked with her through the elevator and back downstairs to the cash register. I couldn't believe how insensitive our store was to the needs of people with disabilities. The aisles are narrow, and the placement of materials is very convoluted. I don't know how she could have done it without assistance, which is not fair. I was glad that I could help. It is interesting to realize how the majority of the buildings that I am used to in Arizona are more sensitive because they were built when the ADA existed, trying to fix old buildings is probably a lot like pulling teeth.

At a welcome lull in the flow of customers, I was approached by a woman who said she found me. What? It took me a second to realize it was my godmother's friend Teresa! We had talked a few times since I moved here, but she was really busy looking for a new house, nesting with her new husband, and trying to get her mother into a nursing home. She works for The University of Chicago, and she took some time out to come visit me. We decided to do lunch on Friday to really catch up. The rest of the work day flew by and even though I raced home, I still missed the first half of Dancing with the Stars. Oh well, after the show went off, I spent an hour on my hair and my eyebrows for tomorrow's interview. I still need to figure out how I am going go from bookstore comfy to interview chic in 15 minutes, but where there is a will there is a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment