Monday 29 August 2011

Day 42 - The Interrupters

Recipe: Chicken Florentine
Repository: Moody Bible Institute

I spent the morning applying for jobs at the Moody Bible Institute. They had some appealing positions but I could not in good faith answer all of the questions that are included in their application. I couldn't condemn homosexuality and promise not to drink or have pre-marital sex. In the additional information section, I explained that I could respect their point of view, and work there without a bias, but I am more of a religious pluralist and I couldn't pledge allegiance to their doctrine. We will see if my application goes anywhere besides the garbage can in that HR department. I also applied to one at the Chicago Theological Seminary, they weren't as stringent, but they have already selected strong applicants to interview, maybe if they all fall through, they will take a glance in my direction.

After that morning of productive activities, I decided to head to the movie theater. I ran into two women who live in my building yesterday when I was walking Simba, and they were telling me about "The Interrupters", the latest documentary from the man who directed "Hoop Dreams". I thought it was very thought provoking. The film is about a non-profit organization, made of ex-criminals, named Cease Fire, who set out to infiltrate the worst neighborhoods in Chicago and stop violent crimes before they happen. The youth violence in this city is really an epidemic, the UIC researchers that are analyzing this initiative have compared it to a horrible, contagious disease that can be stopped, once the agent is identified. These brave souls are having real dialogues with brothers in rival gangs, mothers who are burying their sons, a sister who watched her brother get shot in the head and die in her arms.

All the perpetrators can say is he disrespected me, and I'm not a punk, so I had to shoot him. It was nuts. The only thing that I can think of is that these kids are suicidal. They live in drug infested neighborhoods, their families don't have money, they are ostracized from main stream society, and they can't get jobs. How can they think about the future when the present is so bleak? They have to know that their actions will lead to death, and maybe they are hoping for a release from their misery. I imagine the ones that make it out are the ones who have been encouraged to love and dream, those are the things that make me value my life. Technically, you don't need money and status to instill optimism and hope in your kids...but how can you do that you have been beat down by life too? The nature of the problem is quite overwhelming. The kicker is that this is all happening less than 5 miles away from my apartment. It is ironic that the film didn't make me more afraid, it made me want to do something to help. I have no idea what that will be, definitely not looking for a fight to stop, but something.

On the way home, I picked up the ingredients for the Chicken Florentine. I got home, placed all the ingredients on the counter. Lauren's kitchen came through with the pots, skillets, pans and measuring cups. I had the recipe book propped up and I was ready to cook! Everything was going great until I busted open my bag of thyme. I literally ripped the bag and thyme flew all over the kitchen. I couldn't stop to clean it up, I had all kinds of fires going on the range. That was awkward. I put lemon juice and corn starch in the spinach, but it was supposed to be mixed, cooked and poured over the final product. I also forgot to put the cheese in the with the garlic/mushroom mixture, which was stuffed into the chicken before I put in the oven. All the ingredients made it in the end, just not the way that the recipe intended. I ate up my portion, so I would give it an 80%. I always thought that I should not be afraid to cook because I can read and follow directions. That might not necessarily be the case. I'm definitely excited to have some food ready to go for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment