Thursday 15 September 2011

Day 58 - One of those Voices

Only a broken Internet could have prevented last night's post..I believe that those cable technicians were so tired of hearing Lauren complaining, that they snipped our Internet...they are only going to make it worse, :(

Work flew by today, probably because I was anticipating tomorrow's interview. Over text, Coleman invited me to his birthday party on Saturday, and wanted me to invite one of my co-workers, his friend Pat. I told him that I would if I saw her. I saw her twice and wasn't going to say anything, but I finally did just before she was about to leave. I explained the situation and she said that I should give her the address, I didn't have it on me, so I am supposed to follow up with her on Friday. She asked me how I knew Coleman, I told her and she said that she has known him for two years, since they used to ride the bus together. She kept gushing about sweet he is and I agreed by telling her about this job opportunity. She said that if I was looking for a job, Allstate was hiring, her daughter works at the one in Joliet. She said that I would be good at taking insurance policies over the phone, I have one of those voices....what does that mean?

This is the third time this month that a Black person has mentioned the sound of my voice in some kind of way. First, Zach was making fun of me, but I assumed it was friendly banter. When I asked the security guard at the library if she needed to look inside my bag, she responded, no I don't need to look in your bag, in this high pitched nasal-ly voice. I said, are you making fun of me? She just laughed and asked what school I went to. Now this lady saying that I have an insurance representative voice....I'll come back to this.

Dave's all staff meeting was this evening, after the store closed. I don't know if I am too immersed in Black History right now but it looked like some slaves gathering around their overseers. Some staff members were off today but they came, two of the women are pregnant, and age ranges from late teens to middle aged Black people. Erin, Trent, Patsy, Kevin and Dave went over the updates in their departments. I tried to put myself in their positions, giving all of this information that is handed down from the corporate offices and dispensing it to these apathetic and underpaid workers. They were kind enough to give us pizza, soda, cookies and some brand new t-shirts to wear during rush. I do take pride in my work, regardless of what it is, but retail is definitely for the birds. On my walk home, I ran into Jimmy from the textbook department. All of my interactions with him up until this point were so professional and polite. While we were walking and he was telling me his thoughts on the meetings and some of the bookstore's customers, every other word was a swear and his vernacular completely changed. It was interesting. I was telling him that I was getting old and I didn't have as much tolerance for retail as I might have had before. He asked me how old I was, I said 26 and he said, DAMN (pause) but you look good. What! I told him that was not the appropriate response and we both laughed. It turned out that he is only 19, ahhh to be 19 again, your foot is destined to go into your mouth at that age.

I think that the Zumba and the extra hour at work caught up with me and I fell asleep as soon as I got home. I did wake up around 10:30 and talked to Christian about my interview. I stayed up until 2:00 just reminded myself of relevant experiences from my past and taking notes for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment