Wednesday 24 August 2011

Day 37 - The Storm

I spent the morning cleaning, doing laundry and watching music videos. I executed my final takeover in the bathroom. I put all of Lauren's items underneath the sink and put my stuff in the drawers for easier access. I threw away all of the bottles with just a little bit of product left in the them, and I scrubbed all of the surfaces with bleach. I had to crack open the window because I almost passed out from the fumes. I'm not going to say anything but I get so frustrated when we both get back from somewhere and she goes straight to "my" bathroom because it is conveniently located in the hallway. I'm sure that it would be inexcusable for me to race through her bedroom to the toilet in the master suite. I also have to keep a certain amount of tidiness in the bathroom because all kinds of guests may be using it. Ahhh, one of the many little drawbacks to living in someone else's house.

Around five, I left out to the commuter train to head downtown. I took the Water St. exit instead of Randolph from the station and got very turned around. I was trying to go to the Chicago Cultural Center for a film screening. I looked at my google map, I was only 0.3 miles away, so I kept walking, when I didn't see it in 10 minutes, I realized that I was walking in the wrong direction. I turned around and made it to place 5 minutes after the movie started. Luckily it was just me, and I found a single seat in the middle of a row. The film was called, The Storm (De Storm), it was filmed in Dutch with English subtitles. It was all about this powerful storm in 1953, and how a young mother is determined to find her 5 week old infant in all of the water and chaos. I won't give away the ending but there was a baby thief in the midst. I really enjoyed it, I don't know what I would do if I had to deal with water as high as the roof of my house and watching my mother and sister die right in front of me. The story was thoughtful and the male lead was easy on the eyes. The film series is free and they are showing movies from all around the world until September 24, I am looking forward to checking out another one.

The film was over around 8:15, this is the latest that I have been downtown by myself without my car. I know that I could have taken the commuter train back, but I didn't feel like waiting an hour for it to come. So, I walked down State Street for a little bit. I popped into Old Navy and fought the urge to buy clothes. Then I went to Baskin Robins for some ice cream. I sat down and consulted the travel options on my iPhone. This particular Baskin Robins is a hub for young men who play "Magic: The Gathering", the card game. There must have been 15 boys sitting around 4 tables pushed together with the cards, colorful mats and other accessories, more power to them. I found that the Jackson Park Express bus was picking up just around the corner and I would have a 0.9 mile walk home from the closest stop.

It was nice and breezy and I stopped at several stores on my walk home. Subway was first, considering that just because I started with dessert didn't negate the need for dinner. Then I went to the liquor store to get the ingredients for tomorrow's Bloody Mary. I usually avoid liquor stores mostly because I don't drink that much and I assume that low-lifes and weirdos will populate them. If I had removed my negative perception earlier, I might have seen why my Dad likes them so much. Everyone is in a jovial mood in the liquor store. They smile, say hello and give all kinds of compliments. Granted they might be drunk already, but if you are tired of feeling invisible on the city streets, a liquor store at the least the one in Hyde Park, after 9:00 at night, may be the place for a little recognition.     

No comments:

Post a Comment