Saturday 13 August 2011

Day 26 - Bud Billiken Parade

I woke up at 6:30 AM to get ready for the parade today. There is more information on the parade at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_Billiken_Parade. It's kind of a big deal. I joined the DuSable float team at the White Castle on 35th and Cottage Grove. From there we walked to our "float" also known as two vans with DuSable painted on the side. I met Q who is from Hattiesberg Mississippi, and Antoinette, who's sister is going to Johnson C. Smith college in Charlotte. I talked to a couple of high school kids about where they think they might want to college. I met a couple of museum curators, docents and a textile artist whose work is currently on display. I also have a lead on a new hair salon, very excited for that one. We waited 90 minutes before the parade started moving, and we had to walk 5 blocks before we were merged into the line. All the while, there were high school bands and drill teams, political floats, radio stations, and other community organizations.

DuSable was lucky enough to get a Capoeira group to walk with us in front of the vans. They had two of the tallest, dreadlocked, flexible and rhythmic dance fighters ever. It was like watching a man in a mirror to see those two in those action-reaction kind of movements. The Buffalo Soldiers group was there with a horse cavalry. As the floats were merging, I prayed that we would not be behind the horses....of course we were behind the horses! Fortunately, they had the the shovel and the industrial strength vacuum to pick up the horse shit. However, the smell and the pauses to settle horses and rake up the mess were a bit of a damper. We made the most of it, we sang the Capoeira songs, clapped our hands, and waved at the people along the parade route, it was fun. When we got to Washington Park, there was food waiting for us at the museum.We walked from 35th to 55th street, and then I had to walk home, it was a long day.In summary, there were some awkward moments when I didn't know what to say or where to stand, but I'm glad that I stuck it out. I don't have any big plans with these people, they probably don't remember my name, but maybe if they see me in the street, they will wave. It is a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment