Monday 1 August 2011

Day 14 - Post Graduate Coursework?

I talked to the director of the PhD program at Dominican University for about an hour today. She was telling me about some factors to consider before entering into this commitment. She explained ways for me to tailor the program to address my interest in Archives. She also suggested that I look at the University of Pittsburgh for a similar set up, perhaps with more opportunities for fellowships. I was pretty inspired, and I began to get some balls rolling for my application, ordering test scores and asking for letter of recommendation, etc. Ideally, I would like to find a job that allowed me to practice my archival skills while I am working on my PhD. I like the fact that the faculty at Dominican are flexible and trying to help students find the right fit instead of just focusing on their enrollment numbers. I also have the option to defer admission if I find that the timing isn't right at this point. I wish that I could put in a life order the same way I order Chinese takeout. Mine would include a part time job as an archivist, admission to the PhD program, a diverse group of hip Chicago friends, a nice scholarly boyfriend, and enough discretionary money to visit friends and family around the nation. Aaah, the search for fulfillment continues....

2 comments:

ReekaP said...

And nice pink fingernails in lieu of a fortune cookie hahahahahahahah!!!!!

Chaitra Powell said...

you ought to be ashamed, I'm trying to have some sincere introspection, and you want to play the race card...tsk tsk tsk!

Post a Comment